Sunday, October 30, 2011

Movie Review: Real Steel

A father and son story plus a dancing robot who can totally kick ass? I just couldn't help but ask for more.

If you follow me on Twitter, then I guess you might have seen my tweets regarding Real Steel. I raved about it online for a couple of days and I can't get over it still, although I've decided not to fill up my Twitter's timeline and my Facebook's wall with Real Steel-related posts. I guess this entry is my last way of convincing you all to get tickets and watch it.




Real Steel is a movie set in the not so far-off future. By then, people have developed a penchant for extreme contact sports which became too suicidal dangerous for real people, hence the birth of robot boxing. Think boxing/MMA but between C-3PO on steroids and the Tin Man, yet again on steroids. The story revolves around Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman), a used-to-be boxer turned promoter of robot boxing, and his son Max Kenton (Dakota Goyo) whom he left years ago. The two had a rough start on rebuilding their father and son relationship since Charlie wasn't too keen on keeping his son. An incident led them to the discovery of a sparring robot which they rebuilt and reprogrammed. This robot, named Atom, became a strong contender and was easily liked by the people, all this to the outrage and defiance of Tak Mashido (Karl Yune), a well-known promoter of robot boxing and the owner of Zeus, the robot which held the title of World Robot Boxing Champion. The movie culminates into a match between Atom and Zeus and I'll stop blabbering here. Ha ha!

Real Steel's still being shown in a lot of cinemas and I know a lot of people will watch it, especially since most still have about a week off from school. The movie is very inspirational and focuses on the importance of family. Fine, I'll admit it. I cried teared up because of the father and son scenes, especially that one scene while the match between Atom and Zeus was happening. Good thing I wasn't seated next to anyone. Ha ha! Overall, the movie is just plain awesome. Great story, great actors, great cinematography! Just. Plain. Great.

As I've said in my tweet, Real Steel has got to be the best movie I've seen this year. I'm excited to get it on original DVD and I'm really looking forward to a sequel. Oh please, let there be one. Or two.


FINAL RATING: 5 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment